School is starting, and so is PVUMC Children’s Ministries’ fall programming!
We have music and classes, and a few special events for our elementary and middle school kids.
Mark your calendar to join us on the following dates:
- August 13: Sunday School Teacher Orientation: If you are interested in joining a teaching team, email the Children’s Director, Rev. Brenda Smith.
- August 14: Praise Singers Kick-Off (1st-7th grade): Music moves to the start of the Sunday School hour, at 9:30 am in H1. Children will be escorted to their classrooms after the 20 minutes of music.
- August 14: First Day of Classes and Back-to-School Blessing: The blessing will be at the end of the 9:30 am worship service this year, at about 10:20 am. Children will come to the sanctuary with their teachers. We’ll bless your children and their backpacks, and give each of the kids a blue backpack tag with a special blessing on it from Paradise Valley United Methodist Church. The UMC shared the following video for us to share with our own congregations:
- August 17: Music Makers Kick-Off: All 1st-6th graders are invited to join our afterschool music program every Wednesday, 4:30-5:30 pm. Email Bonnie Greey, the Children’s Music Director, for more information about this and Praise Singers, our Sunday morning music group.
- August 21: Bible Blast (3rd and 4th grade): All third graders receive a new Bible on Sunday, August 21 at PVUMC’s annual Bible Blast. Every year on this special Sunday, we gift all 3rd graders, and any 4th graders who missed last year’s event, with a “SPLASH” Deep Blue Bible. Families are urged to participate with their child after the Bible presentation in the sanctuary at 9:30 am, as we continue the event in the Fellowship Center. We’ll provide a quick overview of the Bibles and fun challenges. If you have a 3rd or 4th grader, please contact Rev. Brenda Smith, children’s director, by Sunday, August 14 to RSVP for a Bible and the event. Call the church office at 602-840-8360 or email Brenda at email@example.com to RSVP or to ask any questions.
- August 21: Acolyte Training (4th-8th grade): All 4th-8th graders are invited to be acolytes. Acolytes serve during the 9:30 am worship service to bring the light of Christ, assist with communion and baptism, assist the pastors as needed, and to take the light of Christ out of the service at the close. The training will be August 21, 11 am-12 noon in the sanctuary. The Acolyte dedication will be on August 28 at the 9:30 am service. To sign-up or ask questions, contact Rev. Andrea Andress, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 28: Acolyte Dedication at 9:30 am worship
Mini-Singers will continue be offered by Shari Paris for children ages 3 to Kindergarten each Sunday, 10:30-11 am in room E9, starting Sunday, August 14.
The Youth Ministry kick-off will be 5 pm on Sunday, August 14. Contact Christopher Wurpts, youth ministries director, for more information.The middle school programming is under Sam Henderson this year, for tweens in 5th-7th grade.
Junior Bells meets for its first rehearsal at 3:30 pm that same day, and Youth Choir meets 4-5 pm. Contact Tommy Strawser for more information about youth music programs.