Join us Sunday mornings During Advent outside the Sanctuary
The season of Advent invites us to expand our prayer practices as we prepare ourselves for the birth of our Savior. Make room in your inner selves for the coming Light by participating in these experiences, prepared and hosted by the Transformational Living Ministry Team. Stop on the patio after each 9:30 am service during Advent to sample them.
- Sunday, November 27 centers on the theme of how God finds us when we are lost and distant. By walking the ancient pattern of the Labyrinth, we acknowledge our lack of control over where our paths take us, and yet we can discover that we are never far from God’s secret guidance. There will be a large Labyrinth in the amphitheater and a smaller one on the patio. We also have a large, permanent labyrinth at the south end of the west parking lot.
- Sunday, December 4 focuses on how God frees us by spreading hope. Come and light a candle with a prayer for hope and faith.
- Sunday, December 11 is the children’s pageant and the theme is “Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord.” Come and ring a bell or a gong. Beat a drum to make your own heartfelt sound of joy.
- Sunday, December 18 focuses on the angels in the Christmas Story. Come and inscribe or decorate a paper angel to be hung on a holiday tree, then stop by the Fellowship Center to purchase some cookies at the Cookie Walk, hosted by the PVUMC Youth Choir in an effort to raise money for their summer choir tour. Stock up on goodies for the holidays!
Prayer & Meditation Room, H6
The Prayer and Meditation room (H6 in the Hobbs Family Learning Center facing the south parking lot) has been prepared as a space to be made sacred through your prayers and presence. Spend some time there lighting a candle, hearing the trickle of the fountain and experiencing the deep peace of a dedicated, prayerful space. Our hope is that it will be a respite from the demands of the day and will help you reconnect to God’s Spirit and wisdom.
As you come in, rather than turn on the overhead lights, create an intimate setting by lighting a candle and turning on the dimmer lights and floor lamps. Please allow yourself to release the demands of the day and feel the peace found in the quiet and stillness.
Please feel free to sit or lay down in the quiet and just rest. If you’d like, there are a number of things you can experience while in this space:
- Sacred music
- Sand tray and the power of symbols
- Yoga mats and prayers rugs
- A writing desk with paper, markers and pens
- Gifts of nature; sacred rocks
- Meditation and prayer (devotional books and tapes are available for use)
- Fill the fountain with water and plug it in to enjoy (please unplug it before leaving)
This setting was created to help you and all of us remember God’s stillness that is always present within and to take time during the busyness of the day to reflect, contemplate and renew in the quiet.
Nurture your soul and and take time to feel the ever-present spirit of God’s grace. We pray you find renewal each time you visit.
With love and hope – The Transformational Living Team of Paradise Valley UMC