Lent Begins on Ash Wednesday
Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, March 1, 2017. We’ll offer two worship services and the pastors will also be on the bridges to welcome Preschool families and an opportunity to receive ashes in the morning. Worship is at 12 noon in the chapel and at 6:30 pm in the sanctuary. Pastor Eve Williams will give the message at both Ash Wednesday services.
Holy Week Worship
Holy Week begins with Palm/Passion Sunday on April 9 with a Palm Parade by the Sunday school children at 9:30 am worship. On Maundy Thursday, you’re invited to celebrate the Lord’s Supper at a 7 pm worship service in the chapel.
Good Friday worship will be a Tenebrae service with the choir singing Gabriel Fauré’s Requiem with orchestral accompaniment.
Sunday Morning Experiences During Lent
- March 19 – Chimes, Bells and Gongs: The Gift of Being Thunderstruck – Join a guided, meditative chimes experience or simply experiment with the chimes, bells and gongs on the patio, creating your own “Thunderstruck” experience.
- Holy Week – Chimes in the Chapel – Two large chimes will be available in the chapel altar area during Holy Week, 8 am-5pm, Tuesday-Friday, April 11-14. Look for instructions and ideas of how to fully experience the chimes, and attune yourself to God as you pray to the sounds. Please note that the PVUMC Preschool children and teachers are in the chapel Wed and Thurs, 9-10 am.
- Watch the video below for a 5-minute bell meditation from “The Guided Meditation Site” at http://www.the-guided-meditation-site.com/mindfulness-bell.html.
- March 26 – Cairns: The Gift of Being Lost – You’re invited to experience the gift of getting lost and what the gift allows to come forth in your life. We’ll have rocks for you to take home so you can build a “cairn” on your own in a special place where you can be found. We invite you to share it with your network of friends and family on social media by taking a selfie with your cairn in your special place (or maybe doing a Facebook Live video post). Tag your post with #cairn and #pvumc and tag the church Facebook page or Instagram pages so we can see, like, comment and share too!Watch this video by Eric Elnes, who talks about the Gift of Getting Lost.
- April 2 – Labyrinth: The Gift of Temptation – Walk the labyrinth as you discover the path to walk that takes you through temptation on your journey to God. The child’s labyrinth will be outside the sanctuary and the large Chartes Labyrinth will be laid out on the Amphitheater. Classes are welcome to visit the labyrinths all morning.All of these experiences have been prepared and coordinated by the Transformational Living Ministry Team at PVUMC.
Church-wide Book Study: Gifts of the Dark Wood
NOTE: The church has sold out of its copies of the PVUMC Lenten study book, but it is available at several online booksellers.
The book is called Gifts of the Dark Wood, by Eric Elnes, who believes that uncertainty about your spiritual life can be one of your greatest assets. When we are unsure, lost or find ourselves wandering through a “dark wood,” we probe, question, and discover truths that otherwise may remain hidden. You don’t need to be a saint or spiritual master to experience profound awakening and live with God’s presence and guidance. You need only to wander. This book is for all of us: the insider who has left the traditional church, the outsider who is curious about faith but mistrustful of religious systems and authority, and for the faithful disciple who continues to question issues of faith when faced with silence, temptation, emptiness or loss. We are all on a journey of faith and can benefit from looking for answers when faced with dark times.
To get the most out of the book, we invite you to join one of our Pathways classes listed below, and study it with others in our faith community. Start dates are listed, and others may be added to the list.
Saturday, March 18: A Gift of Emptiness
Musette Young, a local Raku expert and Colorado artist, will lead this workshop, similar to the Advent ornament workshop, on Saturday, March 18, 9 am-12 noon, with an option to watch the firing in the afternoon. Completed bowls will be ready for pick up on Sunday, March 19. Limited to 12 participants, the workshop costs $25. Pay at GIVE NOW (choose “other” and write “Raku Lenten Workshop” in the Comments section along with your name and a phone number.) RSVP to Kathleen Kupper, firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know you have paid; she will add you to the participant list.
Pathways Classes Offering the Lenten Book Study
The following classes followed the Lenten study last year, and many will follow it again this year. Click here to download the Pathways guidebook for Spring 2017.
Check the calendar for dates, times and descriptions on our website church calendar page: pvumc.org/calendar/
SPIRIT – 9:30 am, F8 (Fireside Room)
Wesley Sunday School Group — 11 am, G2 (Library)
New Testament Bible Study — 11 am, H4
Monday: Pastor Eve’s Book Study — 6:30 pm, Starting 2/27
Tuesday: Caring Bible Study – 10:30 am, A2 (Parlor) – Starting 3/7
Susanna Circle – 9:30 am, A2 (Parlor)
Pastor’s Bible Study – 10:30 am, F8 (Fireside Room)
Sojourners – 4 pm, G2 (Church Library) – Starting 2/15
Growing Together in Our Walk – 6 pm, F8 (Fireside Room) – Starting 2/22
The Transformational Living Team invites you to go online this year to gain inspiration during Lent from Richard Rohr at the Center for Contemplative Development and from The Upper Room. Both offer daily and weekly devotions during the season. The UMC website also offers a variety of resources, including “Desktop Meditations: A Lenten Journey.” Presented by UnitedMethodistTV on YouTube, you’re invited to watch videos with messages, images and songs for reflection:
Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditations from the Center for Action and Contemplation offers daily online devotions.
The Upper Room: Lent 101 offers a variety of resources and ways to experience the season.