On Sunday, November 12, you’re invited to be part of Change the World Day at PVUMC, when we take church out of the building and into the community.
One of the biggest projects is our on-campus Snack and Pack. For more than five years, we’ve been providing Thanksgiving boxes to families at UMOM, where the average family lives below the poverty line.
This year, we need your help to fill 225 boxes with all the good things a family might want to eat for Thanksgiving and beyond. Thanks to the generosity of one church member, these familles will all receive a frozen turkey, but we need your help with the other food donations, beginning October 22, 2017:
- canned corn, peas and green beans
- gravy in jars, cans or packages
- boxed mashed potatoes or 5 lb bags of potatoes
- boxed stuffing
- canned cranberry sauce
- frozen pumpkin pies (place in the church freezer up to November 19)
- canned whipping cream (place in the church refridgerator up to November 19)
Items can be delivered to church office. Someone from the Change the World Day committee will retrieve items daily and store them until Snack and Pack on November 12.
In response to the hurricanes and need for disaster relief, we’re also asking you to help put together 150 hygiene kits for UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief). Please donate any or all of the following for each kit:
- New hand towels (15×25 to 15×27) and new wash cloths
- New adult toothbrushes in original packaging
- New sturdy combs longer than 6 inches. No pocket combs or picks, please.
- New boxes of common household Band Aids, ¾” to 1” size only
- New bath sized soap, 3 oz or bigger; no Ivory or Jergens due to moisture content in packaging
- New metal nail files or nail clippers; no emery boards please.
To make a monetary donation online, click here and choose “Missions” and type “Snack & Pack” in the comments section.
Watch this video featuring Dave Hepburn, chair of Change the World Day 2016 and coordinator of special projects at UMOM New Day Centers, who received the 210 family food boxes from this project.
Please bring your donations any Sunday morning until November 12. Look for the table on the patio.
Then join us for our 5th annual Snack & Pack on our 4th annual Change the World Day, Sunday, November 12, 9:30-11:30 am in the Fellowship Center. You can sign up to help on Sunday, when we’ll pack boxes with all the makings for a family Thanksgiving meal and deliver them to UMOM later that week or next.
We’ll begin sign ups for Change the World Day projects, including Snack and Pack, on Sunday, October 22. Just add your name (and the names of any family members) to the “Onsite projects at PVUMC” option, which includes Snack & Pack, Biblical Garden clean up, Kitty Cozies (make fleece blankets for pets up for adoption through the Arizona Humane Society), homeless care bags, Nativity set cleaning/set up, Columbarium and Columbarium Fountain cleanup. An online signup genius form will be available after that first Sunday.
Thank you for being God’s love in action™ at PVUMC!