PVUMC Hosts Fourth Annual Change the World Day
On Sunday, November 12, 2017, PVUMC invites you to join us for a day of service. We start the day at 8 am with a casual breakfast at the Fellowship Center. Grab a breakfast burrito after you sign in and pick up a T-shirt if this is your first time serving with us. If you’ve done this before, wear a T-shirt from one of the previous Change the World Day events.
We’ll have a time of blessing and prayer before we go out into the world (or stay on campus) to work, bringing God’s love into action. Sign up for an off-campus project after worship on the Sundays before the event, beginning October 22, 2017, or use the online SignUp Genius form, if you can’t get here on Sunday or prefer to sign up online. On-campus projects have greater availability, and we can always use walk-in help the day of the event. We’ll get you plugged into a project on campus. No worries! Please note: Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary is full!
Click on the image below to go to the 2017 Project Sign-Up Form:
You’re invited to serve at one of the following organizations off campus:
- Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary
- Lost Our Home Pet Foundation
- UMOM New Day Centers
- Justa Center
- Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development
- Hospice of the Valley
- Red Mountain Academy
- White Dove Thrift Shops
- Beatitudes Campus
- Scottsdale YMCA
- Wesley Community Center
Some of the projects have age limitations (i.e. no one under the age of 12 at Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary, and all minors 16 years and younger must be accompanied by a caregiver; volunteers may be required to fill out forms in advance of the work day, or the day of the event.)
Or, help on campus with these projects:
- Snack and Pack — pack Thanksgiving food boxes for families served by UMOM and make hygiene kits for UMCOR
- Correspondence to Homebound
- Christmas candle prep
- Kitty cozies for homeless pets
- Homeless care bags
- Nativity rehab & set up
- General church campus clean up
- Biblical Garden and Columbarium clean up
- Caring Kids Rummage Sale sorting of donated items (elementary age children and parents)
- Sewing totes for children in foster care (machine sewing experience required)
Sign up soon and watch this short video from last year featuring past years’ events to get inspired! Please note: our new date is November 12, 2017.
Sunday, October 22 is your first opportunity to sign up for your favorite service project. We have about a dozen off-campus projects, and about the same number on campus.
We’ll also introduce our Snack and Pack project. Watch this video below featuring Dave Hepburn, chair of Change the World Day 2016 and coordinator of special projects at UMOM New Day Centers, who receive the 200-plus family food boxes from this project. This year, we’re adding UMCOR hygiene kits to our project list, to help victims of recent hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. The Senior High Youth Mission Trip will be to Houston, TX in July 2018, to assist with the hurricane relief effort in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, one of the largest natural disasters in the USA since Hurricane Katrina. They will partner with Experience Mission. Read More.
Click here to GIVE NOW to Change the World Day. Choose “Missions” and type “Change the World Day” in the comments section. As of November 1, we had a shortfall of $1,600 and have faith that we will close the gap before the big day. Thank you for your participation and your generosity.
If you’re not signed up in advance for a Change the World Day project, there will still be a place for you to help on campus at Snack and Pack and at our other service stations, but if you would like to participate in an off-campus project, we recommend you sign up as soon as possible.
Families are encouraged to sign up to work together, and children must be accompanied no matter where they serve, on or off campus.
Here’s a snapshot of the morning:
- 8-9 am: Arrive on campus to pick up your Change the World Day T-shirt and check-in.
- Grab a breakfast burrito, and stop by the Perk for coffee, tea or a smoothie. All proceeds benefit youth missions and ministry.
- If you participated last year, or the year before, please wear your “God’s Love in Action” T-shirt for the day of service.
- If you’re new, we’ll have T-shirt for you (unless we run out before you get here!). Get here early; quantities are limited!
- 9 am: Join us for a short service of blessing.
- 9:20 am: Depart for your selected off-campus service venue. For those staying on campus, prepare to begin at 9:30 am. This includes Snack & Pack.
- 9 am-12 noon: Work on- or off-campus.
Look for sign-up sheets on the patio after worship beginning Sunday, October 22. We’ll also begin taking Snack and Pack donations Sunday, October 22, which is also Preschool Sunday. We’ll have a big push for food and UMCOR donations the first Sunday of the month, our usual first-Sunday-of-the-month food donations for UMOM. Click here to see the lists of items needed.
Questions? Email Dave Hepburn, Change the World Day coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
As more information becomes available, we’ll be sure to share it with you at pvumc.org.