Lent Begins on Ash Wednesday
Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, February 14, 2018. We’ll offer two worship services and the pastors will also be on the bridges to welcome Preschool families and an opportunity to receive ashes in the morning. Worship is at 12 noon in the chapel and at 6:30 pm in the sanctuary. Rev. Andrea Andress will give the message at both Ash Wednesday services.
Sunday Morning Experiences During Lent
- February 18 and 25 – Crossroad Sign and Serenity Chimes – Look for the crossroad sign on the patio during Lenten Sundays. The sign echoes the theme of Paul’s journeys in the Bible and as they are described in Rob Fuquay’s book, Which Way Lord? Exploring Your LIfe’s Purpose in the Journeys of Paul. The serenity chimes will be available at various locations on campus for mindful meditation.
- March 4 — Light a Candle and Say a Prayer – A table will be set up after 9:30 am worship service with a prayer jar and various candles which can be lit and placed in sand.
- March 10 – Canaan in the Desert Stations of the Cross – You’re invited to visit this sacred place on Saturday, March 10 at 10 am with Polly Wintergalen as your guide. This Lutheran Abbey is located at 9849 N 40th St, Phoenix, AZ 85028 (south of Shea). If you would like to carpool from the church, email or call Rev. Andrea Andress. When you are there, you’re invited to take a selfie or other photo and share your experience with your social media network of friends and family. Tag your post with #pvumc #lent and add a geo tag if you’d like. Tag the church Facebook page or Instagram page so we can see, like, comment and share too. Lent is a time for personal reflection, but it’s also a time to share meaningful insights as God guides you in discovering your life’s purpose.
- March 11 – Labyrinth Walks – You’re invited to walk the labyrinth on the south end of the church campus, and venture out to other venues later in the day. You may discover your life’s purpose as you walk or feel closer to God, who directs your path.
Other venues are:
The Franciscan Renewal Center
5802 E. Lincoln Drive, Scottsdale AZ 85253
St. Barnabas in the Desert
6715 North Mockingbird Lane, Scottsdale, AZ 85253
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
100 W. Roosevelt St., Phoenix, AZ 85003
If you know of others, please leave a comment on this post. And if you visit one of these venues, including our own, you’re invited to comment about your experience here too.
- March 18 – Where Do You Get Closer to God?
Where do you feel a close connection with God? Is it in the PVUMC Prayer Chapel, your backyard, on top of a mountain, or somewhere in the desert? You’re invited to post a photo of that place, or a selfie of you in that place, on social media to share that you pray. Please tag the church Facebook page or Instagram (@pvumc) and use at least 3 of these tags: #pvumc #prayinginparadise #closetoGod #getclosertoGod #showmethewaylord #renovateme #connectwithGod #prayer #Lent
- March 25 (Palm Sunday) – Making a Joyful Noise
Stop by the table on the patio and help us make a joyful noise to the Lord! We’ll have noisemakers, bells, and drums.
The Learning and Living Ministry Team at PVUMC has prepared all these activities as a way to deepen your personal relationship with God and your relationship with others.
You’re invited to join a Journeys small group at PVUMC to study one of the church-wide Lenten studies in community with others.
Check the calendar for dates, times and descriptions on our website church calendar page: pvumc.org/calendar/
Richard Rohr’s Daily Meditations from the Center for Action and Contemplation offers daily online devotions.
The Upper Room: Daily Devotionals can help guide your Lenten experience.