PVUMC Hosts Fifth Annual Change the World Day
On Sunday, November 11, 2018, PVUMC invites you to join us for a day of service. Last year, we started the day at 8 am with a casual breakfast at the Fellowship Center. The breakfast burritos were a hit!
If you’ve done this before, wear a T-shirt from one of the previous Change the World Day events. If you’re new, we’ll have a shirt for all pre-registrants.
We’ll have a time of blessing and prayer before we go out into the world (or stay on campus) to work, bringing God’s love into action. Sign up for an off-campus project after worship on the Sundays before the event, beginning October 21, 2018, or sign up online. (Stay tuned for that). On-campus projects have greater availability, and we can always use walk-in help the day of the event. We’ll get you plugged into a project on campus. No worries!
Last year, our off-campus service projects included these organizations:
- Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary
- Lost Our Home Pet Foundation
- UMOM New Day Centers
- Justa Center
- Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development
- Hospice of the Valley
- Red Mountain Academy
- White Dove Thrift Shops
- Beatitudes Campus
- Scottsdale YMCA
- Wesley Community Center
Some of the projects have age limitations (i.e. no one under the age of 12 at Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary, and all minors 16 years and younger must be accompanied by a caregiver; volunteers may be required to fill out forms in advance of the work day, or the day of the event.)
On campus, you’re invited to help with these projects:
- Snack and Pack — pack Thanksgiving food boxes for families served by UMOM and make hygiene kits for UMCOR
- Correspondence to Homebound
- Christmas candle prep
- Kitty cozies for homeless pets
- Homeless care bags
- Nativity rehab & set up
- General church campus clean up
- Biblical Garden and Columbarium clean up
- Caring Kids Rummage Sale sorting of donated items (elementary age children and parents)
- Sewing totes for children in foster care (machine sewing experience required)
Sign up soon and watch this short video from last year featuring past years’ events to get inspired! Please note: our new date is November 11, 2018.
Sunday, October 21 is your first opportunity to sign up for your favorite service project. We have about a dozen off-campus projects and about the same number on campus.
We’ll also introduce our Snack and Pack project. Watch this video below featuring Change the World Day Chair Dave Hepburn and former coordinator of special projects at UMOM New Day Centers, who receive the 200-plus family food boxes from this project. Last year, we added UMCOR hygiene kits to our project list, to help victims of hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. The Senior High Youth Mission Trip will be to Houston, TX in July 2018, to assist with the hurricane relief effort in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, one of the largest natural disasters in the USA since Hurricane Katrina. They will partner with Experience Mission. Read More.
Click here to GIVE NOW to Change the World Day. Choose “Missions” and type “Change the World Day” in the comments section. Thank you for your participation and your generosity.
If you’re not signed up in advance for a Change the World Day project, there will still be a place for you to help on campus at Snack and Pack and at our other service stations, but if you would like to participate in an off-campus project, we recommend you sign up as soon as possible.
Families are encouraged to sign up to work together, and children must be accompanied no matter where they serve, on or off campus.
Here’s a snapshot of the morning:
- 8-9 am: Arrive on campus to pick up your Change the World Day T-shirt and check-in.
- Grab a breakfast burrito, and stop by the Perk for coffee, tea or a smoothie. All proceeds benefit youth missions and ministry.
- If you participated last year, or in past years, please wear your “God’s Love in Action” T-shirt for the day of service. We plan to have new polo shirts for sale in Serendipities in September, so feel free to wear one of those if you prefer.
- If you’re new and you pre-registered, we’ll have a T-shirt for you. Get to the church early; quantities are limited!
- 9 am: Join us for a short service of blessing.
- 9:20 am: Depart for your selected off-campus service venue. For those staying on campus, prepare to begin at 9:30 am. This includes Snack & Pack.
- 9 am-12 noon: Work on- or off-campus.
Look for sign-up sheets on the patio after worship beginning Sunday, October 21, which is also Preschool Sunday. We’ll have a big push for food and UMCOR donations for Snack and Pack on the first Sunday of the month, our usual first-Sunday-of-the-month food donations for UMOM. A list of what’s needed will be made available as the date gets closer.
Questions? Email Dave Hepburn, Change the World Day coordinator.
As more information becomes available, we’ll be sure to share it with you at pvumc.org.