School is starting, and so is PVUMC Children’s Ministries’ fall programming!
We have music and classes, and a few special events for our elementary and middle school kids.
Mark your calendar to join us on the following dates:
- August 11: Sunday School Teacher Orientation: If you are interested in joining a teaching team, email the Children’s Director, Rev. Brenda Smith. If you’re interested in having a larger role in Children’s ministries, the church is hiring a part-time Children’s Minister. If you love Jesus and have a desire to teach children about Jesus, this may be where God is calling you to serve. Download the job description and email Brenda your resume ASAP.
- Regular Sunday classes begin Sunday, August 19. Check the church calendar to find your children’s classroom or check the signboards when you arrive on campus Sunday morning.
- August 19: Mini-Singers Kick-Off (Age 3-Kindergarten): Shari Paris leads our littlest singers every Sunday morning at 10:30-11 am. Please ask your child’s Sunday School teacher about this program and how to include your child. The program includes two concerts a year. Each week, children will be escorted to the music classroom from their class and parents will pick up their children at the end of Mini-Singers.
- August 12: Last day of summer classes and Back-to-School Blessing in worship. Children and teachers will be blessed by one of our clergy members. The UMC shared the following video for us to share with our own congregations. Look for it on the PVUMC Preschool Facebook page:
- August 22: Music Makers Kick-Off: All 1st-6th graders are invited to join our afterschool music program every Wednesday, 4:30-5:30 pm. Email Ashley Snavley Strawser, the Music and Arts Ministries Director, for more information about this program.
- August 26: Bible Blast (3rd and 4th grade): All third graders receive a new Bible on Sunday, August 26 at PVUMC’s annual Bible Blast. Every year on this special Sunday, we gift all 3rd graders, and any 4th graders who missed last year’s event, with a “SPLASH” Deep Blue Bible. Families are urged to participate with their child after the Bible presentation in the sanctuary at 9:30 am, as we continue the event in the Fellowship Center. We’ll provide a quick overview of the Bibles and fun challenges. If you have a 3rd or 4th grader, please contact Rev. Brenda Smith, children’s director, by Sunday, August 12 to RSVP for a Bible and the event. Call Brenda at the church office at 602-840-8360, ext 141, or email Brenda at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP or to ask any questions.
- August 12 and 19: Acolyte Training and Dedication: All 4th-8th graders are invited to be acolytes. Acolytes serve during the 9:30 am worship service to bring the light of Christ, assist with communion and baptism, assist the pastors as needed, and to take the light of Christ out of the service at the close. The training will be August 12, 11 am-12 noon in the sanctuary. The Acolyte dedication will be on August 19 at the 9:30 am service.To sign-up or ask questions, contact Acolyte Coordinator Jessica Bryson, email@example.com, or Rev. Brenda Smith.
The Youth Ministry has a new leader: Sam Henderson. Sam has been promoted to Youth Minister and will be leading the senior high group, 8th-12 grade. Rachel Smith has been hired as the Youth Ministries Assistant and will be primarily working with Squad 57, formerly under Sam. The youth ministry will be rolling out their new fall programs on Sunday, August 19, 2018. Youth in 5th-12th grades and their families are invited to come to the Fellowship Center at 10:45 am for a light lunch and presentations from staff, leaders and youth. We’ll have packets and paperwork. Invite a friend to join you! Check the church calendar for Sunday morning and afternoon youth activities. Read more about changes to the youth ministry program at PVUMC.
Ashley Snavley Strawser, Music and Arts Ministries Director, leads the Youth Choir and Bells programs, which usually begin the same day as the youth kickoff. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.