PVUMC Hosts Fifth Annual Change the World Day
On Sunday, November 11, 2018, PVUMC invites you to join us for a day of service. Last year, we started the day at 8 am with a casual breakfast at the Fellowship Center. The breakfast burritos were a hit!
This year, UMOM will provide the breakfast, serving us before we serve them on this annual day of service.
If you’ve done this before, please wear a T-shirt from one of the previous Change the World Day events. If you’re new, we’ll have a shirt for all pre-registrants if you sign up in advance. Sign-ups begin after worship on Sunday, October 21, 2018.
You may sign-up to help with an off-campus project or for an on-campus project. Walk-ins on the day of the event will have an opportunity to serve on campus; we’ll get you plugged into a project on campus; no worries!
After breakfast on the patio, join us in the sanctuary for a short service of blessing and prayer before we go out into the world (or stay on campus) to work, bringing God’s love into action.
This year, we’re excited to announce our off-campus service projects with these organizations:
- Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary
- UMOM New Day Centers
- Justa Center
- Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development
- Hospice of the Valley
- Red Mountain Academy
- White Dove Thrift Shops
- Scottsdale YMCA
- Wesley Community Center
Some of the projects have age limitations (i.e. no one under the age of 12 at Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary, and all minors 16 years and younger must be accompanied by a caregiver; volunteers may be required to fill out forms in advance of the work day, or the day of the event.)
We also just added a brand new service project: Socks for Vets! Please bring men’s socks to donate to this project. On Change the World Day, we’ll wrap the socks in Christmas wrapping paper and give them as gifts to veterans. Email Rev. Brenda Smith for more information.
On campus, you’re invited to help with these projects:
- Pack 200 Thanksgiving food boxes for families served by UMOM
- Correspondence to Homebound
- Wrapping socks for Veterans
- Christmas candle prep
- Kitty cozies for homeless pets
- Homeless care bags
- Nativity rehab & set up
- General church campus clean up
- Biblical Garden and Columbarium clean up
- Caring Kids Rummage Sale collection and sorting of donated items (elementary age children and parents)
- Sewing totes for children in foster care (machine sewing experience required)
If you’re not signed up in advance for a Change the World Day project, there will still be a place for you to help on campus, but if you would like to participate in an off-campus project, we recommend you sign up as soon as possible.
Families are encouraged to sign up to work together, and children must be accompanied no matter where they serve, on or off campus.
If you’d like to make a donation to Change the World Day, please visit GIVE NOW and choose “Missions.” Type “Change the World Day” in the comments section. Thank you for your participation and your generosity.
Here’s a snapshot of the morning:
- 8-9 am: Arrive on campus to pick up your Change the World Day T-shirt and check-in.
- Grab a breakfast burrito, and stop by the Perk for coffee, tea or a smoothie. All proceeds benefit youth missions and ministry.
- If you participated last year, or in past years, please wear your “God’s Love in Action” T-shirt for the day of service. OR wear a purchased God’s Love in Action polo shirt from the church gift shop, Serendipities.
- If you’re new and you pre-registered, we’ll have a T-shirt for you. Get to the church early; quantities are limited!
- 9 am: Join us for a short service of blessing.
- 9:20 am: Depart for your selected off-campus service venue. For those staying on campus, prepare to begin at 9:30 am.
- 9 am-12 noon: Work on- or off-campus.
Look for sign-up sheets on the patio after worship beginning Sunday, October 21, which is also Preschool Sunday.
Questions? Email Dave Hepburn, Change the World Day coordinator.
As more information becomes available, we’ll be sure to share it with you at pvumc.org.