On Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2019, Bishop Robert Hoshibata of the United Methodist Church Desert Southwest Conference, issued an invitation to come together as one church body on Saturday, March 2, 2019, following the UMC Special General Conference February 23-27, 2019 in St Louis, MO, where bishops and delegates of The United Methodist Church will meet to receive and act on a report from the Commission on a Way Forward.
You’re invited to read more about the February 23-27, 2019 conference in St Louis, MO: http://www.umc.org/topics/general-conference-2019-special-session.
To watch the conference via live stream, visit: http://www.umc.org/who-we-are/general-conference-2019-live-video-stream-english
An Invitation from Bishop Bob
Called Together by Grace: One Body will be held in four different locations: three in Arizona and one in Las Vegas, NV on Saturday, March 2, 2019.
The Arizona meetings led by the Bishop will be from 10 am – 12 noon, with fellowship at 9:30 am.
You are invited to join laity and clergy from across our conference for a time to gather in worship as a community, experience our covenant together, and affirm our shared vision and values. Bishop Bob will share a message of hope and unity, including conversations about the implementation of the General Conference 2019 legislation.
In preparation, the Bishop invites you to read Colossians 3:12-17 and to be in prayer that God’s spirit will be present in moments of grace, reconciliation, faith, love, and hope.
“Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful.”
This event will take place simultaneously at four locations, with the sites connected via video technology:
- Shepherd of the Hills UMC, 13658 W Meeker Blvd, Sun City West AZ
- St. Matthew UMC, 2540 Baseline Rd, Mesa, AZ
- St. Paul UMC, 8051 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ
- Desert Spring UMC, 120 Pavilion Center Dr, Las Vegas, NV
If you need childcare during this event, please contact Carla Whitmire at email@example.com or 602-798-8236 with the names and ages of the children.
Rev Susan Brims from the Desert Southwest Conference’s East District, of which Paradise Valley UMC is a member, wrote a blog post on the Desert SW Conference website. She issued an invitation to pray daily during the conference, and remember the Covenant shared at the Bishop’s Holy Huddles. Here are some of her words:
I invite you to join in Praying our Way Forward as we prepare for the special session of General Conference that is being held on February 23-26, 2019.
- Pray daily for four minutes from 2:23-2:26 (the dates of the conference).
- Commit to the Wesleyan practice of fasting and prayer from dinner on February 22 until dinner on February 23. This is the day of prayer for delegates and observers in St. Louis.
- Connect with the Praying our Way Forward website: https://umcprays.org/
- Let us continue to Give God our Best by aligning all we do and say with the highest ideals of faith. Let us hold hands and commit ourselves to being living as people of grace and love.
I am in prayer. Will you join me?