Children’s Ministries offer opportunities for children to experience the joy of giving, sharing, and serving others. Following are a few of the many Children’s Mission opportunities at PVUMC:
Care Packs for the Homeless:
- Children package water, socks, personal products and treats in zip-lock bags for the homeless during the year, and everyone has an opportunity to help with this project on Change the World Day, an annual day of service at the church held on the second Sunday in November.
Vacation Bible Camp (July-August)
- VBC is one of PVUMC’s largest annual opportunity for children’s mission, when children are encouraged to put “God’s love into action” over the five-day period. Mission drives have included gathering school supplies and uniforms for United Methodist Outreach Ministries (UMOM), and buying mosquito nets to prevent malaria for children in Africa.
Fundraising for Mingus Mountain Camp, Foster Kids and More
- In the past, children at PVUMC have raised funds by “flipping” pancakes with their parents between services on Sunday morning or hosting bake sales to raise funds for specific mission projects. Donations have gone toward camp scholarships to Mingus Mountain Camp and Imagine No Malaria.
- In 2017, Caring Kids organized a rummage sale which raised more than $1,000 for Child Crisis Arizona, a nonprofit which helps foster children and their families. They also donated 12 bags of clothing, toys and other children’s items to refugee families and to a thrift store managed by the Arizona Humane Society. On Change the World Day 2017, Caring kids will start collecting and organizing for their 2018 sale. Read more about their inaugural mission project.
At Christmas Time
- We encourage children to fill Christmas bags for Sidewalk Sunday School children. This conference-wide program collects and delivers the gift bags to “at risk” children in underprivileged neighborhoods throughout the Desert Southwest Conference.